Everyone experiences sadness and unhappiness at some point in their lives, but clinical depression is more intense and lasts longer than typical sadness or grief. Depression interferes with a person’s ability to engage in daily activities. If you are suffering from depression in Warwick, RI, the doctors at LifeStance Health can provide a safe place to discuss your feelings and offer treatment options.
What is Depression?
Depression is a mood disorder that causes a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of interest in activities. Depression affects how you feel, think, and behave. It can also lead to a variety of emotional and physical problems. You may have trouble performing normal day-to-day activities, and sometimes you may feel as if life isn’t worth living.
Depression isn’t a weakness, and you can’t simply snap out of it. Depression may require long-term treatment. Most people diagnosed with depression start feeling better with medication, psychotherapy, or a combination of both.
Signs and symptoms of depression include:
- Persistent sad, anxious, or empty mood
- The feeling of hopelessness or pessimism
- Feelings of irritability, frustration, or restlessness
- Difficulty concentrating, remembering, or making decisions
- Difficulty sleeping, early rising, or oversleeping
- Changes in appetite or unplanned weight changes
- Thoughts of suicide or suicide attempts
- Aches, pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems without a clear physical cause
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, or helplessness
- Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities
- Decreased energy, fatigue, or feeling slowed down
Treating Your Depression In Warwick, RI
Your doctor will create a treatment plan that is tailored to you. They will help you determine the causes of your depression and help you develop strategies for dealing with them. They will also help you reevaluate negative thoughts or behaviors that reinforce your symptoms.
Get proactive about treating depression in Warwick, RI. Call (401) 785-0040 to schedule an appointment with a LifeStance Health doctor today.